The area was first settled in 1681 and a community was established near the Bound Brook stream of the same name, which flows into the Raritan River from the Green Brook on the eastern side of the borough. The brook, which was mentioned as a boundary in a Native American deed, provides the source of the borough’s name.
A wooden bridge over the Raritan River was erected as early as 1761 and was named the Queen’s Bridge in 1767. Later, it became a covered bridge. During the American Revolutionary War, the bridge was used repeatedly by both sides during the Battle of Bound Brook in 1777.
In 1875, the wooden bridge was replaced by a steel pipe truss bridge. More than 100 years later, that bridge was itself replaced by a steel girder bridge in 1984, still using the old pillars, the bridge was renovated and repaved in 2007.
The Battle of Bound Brook, one of the battles in the New York and New Jersey campaign during the American Revolutionary War, occurred on April 13, 1777, and resulted in a defeat for the Continental Army, who were routed by about 4,000 troops under British command.